Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Quick Update

Here’s a quick update on what’s been going on here. Over the weekend I went to the British Museum (the Rosetta Stone, mummies from Egypt), which was really interesting. Of course my camera died after maybe 5 pictures.

This week is midterms, so I've been studying for those. But, last night I got to tour Parliament, as part of my British Politics class. We saw a vote in the House of Commons on a Defence Bill (yes they spell Defense differently over here), in which I believe the Conservatives defeated the Labour Party. We then got to see the House of Lords, which was an interesting room but had a dull discussion going on (the word uhhh was used prolifically by the Lord who was talking). It was cool to go in the little passages between the buildings. We started out at 1 Parliament Street, the least fancy of their buildings. From there we went over to the newest building, which I don't know the name of. However, they spent something like 250 million GBP on this building, so 1 million a room. We just saw the center part of it, and it looked really nice. Then we moved over into THE building. Apparently we weren't supposed to take pictures, but I will admit I snapped one or two, I just won't be putting them online anytime soon.

Today is mainly studying for exams, and getting myself ready for my trip. The plan is Marseilles for a night, then on to a hotel near the Cinque Terre (5 little towns in Italy) hopefully seeing one or two of those towns while there. Then on to Florence, then to Venice. And flying back a week from Friday. And hopefully I'll get to go to church in the Duomo, the big cathedral in Florence. Should be an adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Lyons! I took some time last night to catch up on your post, its been a while and I love your stories! My favorite picture was the squirrel one and my favorite story was the one about the girl walking up to you in a picture perfect scene. I know you are on spring break now and probably traveling around seeing all kinds of new sights! Italy will pretty awesome I do believe! Take care and be careful with the ladies! Miss ya buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will love Italy! It has so much history and the Cathedrals are unbelievable with all the artistry. I hope you can get to Rome before you come back.

    Mrs. Riley

    ReplyDelete